Saturday, October 06, 2007

Northstar

I was going through my ipod this morning trying to find a band that I felt was good, but also one that maybe not everyone has heard of. The purpose of this blog of course is to bring awareness to bands that are incredibly talented, but sometimes under appreciated. The first band I wanted to write about was Alabama's Cassino. But then I thought, wait a second, while Cassino is fantastic and I strongly urge you to check them out, let's go with where Cassino came from. And that brings me to Northstar.

just forget all about fate

Northstar will turn out to be one of your favorite bands you wish you knew about. It's hard to imagine why a band with so much potential had broken up before they blew up. Their last album before breaking up, Pollyana is the perfect blend of pop/rock that will continuously leaving you wanting more. Lead singer, Nick Torres, created a perfect balance between melodies and hooks that would leave even the most casual fan singing these songs in their head all day. It's almost eerie how closely his voice sounds to Adam Lazarra of Taking Back Sunday fame.

It always seems like the best bands break up at the worst times. I can strongly say that had they kept going, they would be an enormous band right now. Their music is so easily accessible, it makes you wonder if they wanted to stay your best kept secret. Pollyana can still be found in most record stores, and is easily one of the best pop/rock albums I've heard from beginning until bitter end.

when I fall, don't forget me
if I stay here, I'll be dying forever


These are the last lines of the album, from a track called "Rocket City". Maybe sometimes it really is better to burn out, than fade away.


No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics