Thursday, October 25, 2007

Show Review: Oh No! Oh My!, The Deadly Syndrome and The Silent Years in Detroit

I bolted out of class early and raced up to Ferndale hoping that I wouldn't miss Oh No! Oh My! play their set at the WAB last night. Sadly, they were the first band to go on, and I did miss about half of their songs. Luckily I got there just in time to hear "I Have No Sister", which is my favorite song of theirs, as well as their closer "In The Backseat".

Next up were their labelmates The Deadly Syndrome. They played great fast power pop that ended with everyone on stage hitting whatever was in their field of vision with drumsticks. I noticed that the band members switched instruments throughout their set, which is pretty rare to see.

Finally The Silent Years went on. There were no greenery or lights strung across their stage or science fair letters stapled to anyone's clothes. I was missing that a little bit, even though I know there was no room on that tiny makeshift stage for such shenanigans. They still put on a great show and ended with "karaoke requests", in which the crowd could request any song from 1990-2004. In my defense, I yelled "Free Bird!" before they could mention any year requirements. They ended up playing "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes (1993) and "Ooh La La" by Faces (1973!!). P.S. Free Bird: also 1973. I'm just saying.

I had never seen a band play at the WAB before, and I think they just started doing shows there. It looked like they removed a railing that had previously divided a raised part of their floor and made one big "stage". It seemed like everyone had a great view, though. My only complaint is that the sound was a little messed up. Having never heard them before, I thought The Deadly Syndrome had terrible vocals, but as soon as The Silent Years got on stage I realized it was the microphone that sounded God awful, not the singer. Plus they need a place to put merch. But in the end, $4 for 3 bands? You can't beat it.

Oh No! Oh My! on Myspace
The Deadly Syndrome on Myspace
The Silent Years on Myspace

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics