Friday, October 19, 2007

New Releases this week: Jimmy Eat World + Thrice

If there is one thing I've learned from taking a week off of work, it would probably be that it takes about a week to catch up on all the work you missed. I'll spare you the boring details and take you straight into what you may have missed this week in new releases. Trust me, you're going to want to check these out.

First, we have the new album by Jimmy Eat World, Chase This Light. This record keeps growing on me and growing on me, getting better with each listen. One of my most favorite songs off of it, Gotta Be Somebody's Blues, sounds like it was taken off an Elliott Smith record. For the past week or so, everyone keeps asking me if I like this album more than the beloved Futures and I honestly can't answer that. It's like trying to choose which child of mine I like more, and I hate playing favorites. This album is a little more upbeat and positive than Futures, so if that's your cup of tea you're in for a treat. Jimmy Eat World is one of those bands that I think will stand the test of time while most of the other bands in this scene or genre will fade away as this fad passes.

The other album that came out this week that you absolutely have to pick up is Thrice's The Alchemy Index Vols. I and II: Fire and Water. In probably one of the more creative ideas to date, Thrice have decided to make four EP's, one for each of the four elements. The first two, Fire and Water, came out this week and the next two, Earth and Air, are to follow in the spring. Fans of heavier Thrice will absolutely love the Fire disc, while those that liked the more moody, experimental side of 2005's Vheissu will accept the Water disc with open ears. Though I've only heard the first have of this project, the future looks very promising.

Myspace:
Jimmy Eat World
Thrice

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics