Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me

Most of you that frequent this lovely blog will remember a few weeks ago when I posted a show review for the Thrice/Brand New concert. You may also recall how bitter and dissapointed I was with Brand New's setlist. Here I sit a mere 13 days later and it finally hit me. I almost admire what they did. They came out, played the songs that they wanted to play, and that was it. Love it or leave it. I spend most of my hours at work on a site called Absolutepunk.net. As I was reading through a thread for the very same tour, one of their users posted a reply to someone complaining about the setlist. He said something along the lines of "if you wanted to see Brand New play a bunch of old songs, maybe you should have seen the band when they toured for those albums years ago". And he's right. I've seen Brand New countless times, and they've always played a good mix of old and new. Anyways, all of this is sort of beside the point. I just wanted to own up for the unneccessary lambasting I did a few weeks ago.



Last night as I was finishing up work, "Not The Sun" came on the radio and it gave me the idea to listen to The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me one more time. I got in my car, plugged in my ipod and started my drive home. I always hear people talk about certain moments in their life where a particular song or setting just really moved them, and it's happened to me in the past too, just not with this album. Last night was different. I don't know if it was the rain, the cold air, the fact that I was having one of the most horrible days ever, or if it was any of those at all, but the album finally clicked with me. A year later, and it finally hits me where it was supposed to hit me. It's not that I ever thought it was a bad album at all, but I just didn't feel connected to it...until now. When I got out of my car, I stepped outside and reflected on the experience I had just had, the words still haunting my brain. To this day, that was the most meaningful drive I've ever had, and this album has a whole new meaning to me. I highly you suggest you give a few listens, maybe one day you'll feel the same way.

Some stand out tracks for me, both lyrically and musically are as follows:

Jesus Christ - the line that hits me the hardest in this song is "do you believe you're missing out? that everything good is happening somewhere else? with nobody in your bed, the night is hard to get through." Every single time I hear this song, that part stands out the most.

Limousine - This song on its own is moving enough, but after reading the backstory to it, it's actually kind of devastating.

Degausser - Towards the end of the song, Jesse softly sings "take me, take me back to your bed, I love you so much that it hurts my head" is probably one of my favorite lines off the whole album. The emotion put into that one line is enough to haunt every speaker it is played through.

Myspace:
Brand New
Merch Direct:
Brand New merc @ Merch Direct

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics